Deathsmiles iOS *Arcade / Follett*: 184,423,334 (#31 of 3,741)
But this is on Rank 2 only, as I don’t really have a good handle on the last boss’ bullet patterns, so I guess there aren’t a lot of people playing the game very seriously. Oh well (´・ω・｀)
Top score on GC right now is 309,374,236.
General tips for Deathsmiles iOS iPhone mode.
For shmuppers who don’t really play touchscreen games, and for iOS gamers who don’t really play shmups.
1. Despite being iOS, this is still very much a shmup and plays like one. Reading any good shmup tutorial about basics like “streaming” will get you a long way, especially in Hard Mode where tons of suicide bullets are aimed directly at your current position.
2. Tips for using a touchscreen. Movement can feel more crude initially, but a touchpad allows you more precision and speed than an arcade stick. Understanding how to use the touchpad to your benefit will enable you to survive longer (and score higher).
- Relative movement: Initially a feature in Space Invaders Infinity Gene, followed by Cave’s own Espgaluda II, being able to control your character from a distance on the screen allows you to keep the area around your hitbox unobscured. Obviously important for dodging a fine bullet spread, and the basic design principle behind any decent bullet-hell shmup on a touchscreen.
- Single hand control: As a right-hander, I find it much easier to perform movement using the right middle finger only. This looks rather strange but works quite well, despite the fact that your finger will cover onscreen enemies at times. Figure out what works best for you and go with it–I don’t like using my thumb, but YMMV.
- Rolling finger: Instead of sliding, when fine control is needed, roll the finger over the screen instead of sliding. This is useful particularly when you are using your thumb, or your non-dominant hand. It is also a good way to move your familiar around, especially when suicide bullets start to appear on screen.
- Move the screen: Instead of moving your finger, move the entire iPhone/iPod with your other hand. This is extremely useful for large but slow, smooth, and precise vertical movements; probably won’t be doing this much in DS though.
- Small screen: By using one of the smaller screen sizes, in exchange for a smaller screen you gain a larger view of the action and decrease the likelihood that your finger will obscure the screen. Consider also moving the screen to one side, so you have more empty space with your dominant hand.
- Precision speed: Touchscreen control affords you unlimited speed and much higher precision control; the game is built around this concept with a larger hitbox and a smaller, but still insane number of bullets. Patterns you shouldn’t be able to dodge in an ordinary shmup can be dodged here by darting straight across the screen.
In other words: Those who think iCade support should be mandatory are fundamentally misguided. The iOS port is clearly not designed for joystick control.
3. Equipment bonuses.
- Set bonus: Equipping an entire set gives you a 1.5x bonus to all items in the set. There are one or two sets which may be purchased in the shop for starters; for those having difficulty with Hard mode, I suggest grinding Normal until you complete a set with acceptable shot/laser stats. The Blue Lantern/Pumpkin Mask set is particularly useful.
- Full stock bonus: Having 9 of an item gives you a 1.5x bonus to its stats when that item is equipped. This is easily accomplished with buyable items, some of which help significantly (e.g. individual pieces of Fairy equipment, Babushka).
- What stats mean: Tap the ? icon at the equip screen for a detailed explanation.
- Which stats to aim for: I recommend focusing on one attack type (Shot or Laser, most likely) and Guard. Bombs really only exist to save you when you get hit, so Magic is kinda useless imo.
4. Credit feeding.
- As of the first IAP update, the one item that I feel is actually worth buying is the Continues +5 item. Treasure drops are only saved if you complete the current stage, and will be lost if you reach Game Over, so it is in your interest to complete at least the current level, and quit afterward if you know you can’t complete the next one.
- As of the second IAP update, the most practical items worth buying are the Lucky Charm, +5 Continues, and Resurrection, in that order. The remainder are either less useful (weapons from the 1st update), or more for curiosity’s sake (all of the other unique weapons from the 2nd update).
- There is some way to increase the number of credits in Arcade mode all the way up to Free Play, but I’m not sure how to go about this. You start with five which is generally enough to credit-feed your way through Rank 3; last time I attempted to purposely die my credits went up to nine.
5. Equipment tips
- Unique weapons allow you to change your shot pattern.
- Despite numerical Shot/Laser/Lock values, it seems that actual shot patterns vary in power as follows:
- Tiara default – Lock seems more powerful than Shot and Laser
- Windia – Shot extremely powerful, Laser weak, Lock weak
- Follett – Lock extremely powerful, Laser weak, Shot weak
- Casper – I’m not quite convinced that Laser is that much stronger than Shot…
- Rosa – Feels like Shot is strongest, but I’m not entirely sure.
- Hamaya Arrow – Powerful Lock, somewhat weak Laser
- Resurrection – Only changes your Shot; is extremely powerful
- Blissful Death – Only changes your Laser; is reasonably powerful
- Golden Horn – Only changes your Shot; is powerful in Power Up mode but fairly weak otherwise
- EVAC Unit – Only changes your Laser; very very weak
- Tiara’s default Laser produces an unholy quantity of gold with a 4x item equipped. This is a prerequisite for high scores and for survival in Hard Mode, as it allows you to reach Power Up mode more frequently.
6. Grind tips
- Drop percentage and gold multiplier items don’t seem to stack.
- Rank seems to affect how often good items drop.
- All of this is moot with a Lucky Charm (IAP) which increases drop rate by an unbelievable amount (“200%” but feels like a lot more than that). If you are planning to grind for 100% item completion, buy a Lucky Charm.Drop rate is absolutely miserable without one.
7. Scoring tips
- iPhone Mode Obtain a Satan Doll and any items which slow down the Item Counter. Stay in Laser mode and Power Up as often as possible. Keep enemies alive while collecting an endless stream of gold for massive profit!
- iPhone Hard Mode I’m personally finding C1 C2 B1 B2 A1 A2 to be the most survivable in terms of (1) clearing Volcano early and (2) plentiful life-up and bomb items.
- Arcade mode I’m lazy and don’t believe in duplicating the work of others, so you can use other guides for Arcade Mode – just ignore the part about movement speed, since all characters now move at the same speed.
8. Item data
- Extra music: Tap the flashing points on the stage select map three times. If done correctly you should hear your character laugh, and the next stage’s music will be replaced by a variation of the DS image song. There are two remixes in Arcade and two in iPhone mode.
iOS Deathsmiles currently @ 97% items, 53/55 achievements.
Novice – 499,031,960
Normal – 481,304,439
Hard – 297,422,294
Follett – 137,770,486
iPhone mode scoring is fully dependent upon having the correct equipment (gold drop +4x), followed by milking regular enemies with a weak laser for massive profit. Hard mode survival is, incidentally, much easier with full sets of equipment and unique (or DLC) weapons. Current hiscores on Game Center are close to the billion mark.
That said I’m mostly item grinding and achievement hunting at the moment, trying to complete the last few missing pieces, not really trying for high scores. Apparently the last achievement is total and absolute BS, but we’ll see how that goes…
Happened to be awake, so I just hopped on the Cave ustream to see … uh … MasaKING in a maid costume. Also:
* Update coming in about 3 hours with puzzle, costumes (palette swaps?), and DLC items, bug fixes and some new options (screen rotate, move screen area to right/left)
* DLC items cost about $3 to $4 apiece :/
* Mushihimesama weapon looks pretty powerful but only seems to affect shot, not laser/lock
* Bug Panic OST announced
* Espgaluda 2 HD version in development fuck yeah
* “Castle Creator” social game in development, i expect this will probably flop internationally
And LOL afterschool storybook time ft. Asahina Mikuru and Ika-musume
“English Cave World blog post is here.”:http://caveworlden.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/deathsmiles-major-update-wrap-up/
Translator ended the Ustream session with “we try to translate to the full extent of the jam” or something like that, good to hear that our translator is a gigantic shmup dork too.
“Ragnarok Online Mobile Story”:http://octoba.net/archives/20110728-android-1879.html
Keep on milkin’ …
Found some arcades. Played through about 3 levels of Daifukkatsu poorly. Saw Deathsmiles II in another arcade, but haven’t gone back yet…
Man, if I lived here my life would be so over.
My real, perhaps not interesting, but generally productive non-otaku life.
New and unusual CAVE Co., Ltd. news:
“Afterschool Picture Show Club”:http://www.cave-world.com/jp/apps/houkago_no_kamishibaibu/ – Storytime with full facial animation from cute 2D girls (Japanese) ft. “Yuko Goto”:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%ABko_Got%C5%8D and “Hisako Kanemoto”:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisako_Kanemoto
“Derby Classics @ facebook”:http://www.derbyclassics.com – Exciting racehorse social simulation game (English)
What is this?
whoa, “insert credit”:http://www.insertcredit.com/ is coming back!?
this was seriously my favorite news site back in the day, when squaresoft was fuck awesome, and everybody wet their pants over Xenogears and ico and stuff. and before ic, there was thegia, and before thegia, there was square.net and rpgamer.
well maybe it’s just an april fool’s joke, and i’ll believe it when i see it, but hey, this should be good.
So there’s a new 7th Dragon game coming out.
I’m going to start updating the “Depository”:/dragon again, from time to time.
Still undecided if I’m excited for the game or not, but it’s still early.
Placeholder for some highscores, I guess.
I dunno, there’s a fifth tab in the TXP Greenery theme at the top of the page and I don’t know what to do with it yet. I don’t really score attack games anymore, so there’s not much for me to post here.